This website (“the Site”) is owned and operated by Murfett Legal Pty Ltd (ACN: 120 362 825) (“Murfett Legal”, “we”, “us”, “our”).
We recognise the importance of protecting your personal information (“Personal Information”) and are committed to ensuring that we comply with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (“Privacy Act”) and the Australian Privacy Principles.
- Use the Site.
- Engage our legal services or enquire about engaging our legal services.
- Apply for a position at Murfett Legal or submit an expression of interest for a position at Murfett Legal.
- Request information from us.
- Attend an event hosted by Murfett Legal.
- Subscribe to our mailing list.
- Supply goods or services to us.
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
We may collect Personal Information from you such as your name, date of birth, address, email address, age, sex, marital status, contact details, occupation, financial information, education and preferences.
We may also collect the following information for marketing purposes and to improve the functionality of the Site:
- Your server address.
- Domain name.
- The date and time of your visit to the Site.
- The pages viewed and information downloaded.
- The previous sites visited; and
- The type of browser used.
HOW DO WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We may collect Personal Information from you using various means such as:
- Directly from you e.g. when we speak to you on the telephone, when you send us an email, when we meet with you in person, when you send us your resume or when you provide us with documents.
- Your use of the Site e.g. when you provide information to us by completing a form on the Site, when you contact us through the Site, the pages that you visit or what links you click on.
- The public domain e.g. your business website or online searches.
- Ratings or search agencies.
- Regulatory authorities.
- From people you refer us to, including previous employers and referees.
- Recruitment agents.
- Social media networks where we have a connection e.g. Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter.
- Your business partners/associates.
- Your business card.
You can choose to deal with Murfett Legal anonymously. However, if you choose to do so, we may not be able to provide assist you.
HOW DO WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We may use your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- Providing services to you (e.g. legal and other services).
- Maintaining and developing our relationship with you.
- Sending information updates, marketing materials and newsletters to you.
- Organising events.
- Maintaining and updating our records.
- Verifying your identity.
- Improving our services, our website and directory.
- Fulfilling our legal and professional obligations (including in relation to anti-money laundering).
- Carrying out research, planning, service development, security and risk management.
- Conducting further searches and enquiries.
- Contracting external service suppliers (e.g. barristers, IT, advertising, accountants and recruitment).
TO WHOM DO WE DISCLOSE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We may disclose your Personal Information to other businesses who assist us in providing products or services or who perform functions on our behalf. This disclosure will be on a needs basis and for the purposes contemplated by your interactions with Murfett Legal. These third parties may include:
- Our agents or contractors.
- Email marketing providers.
- Our related entities.
- Our professional advisers.
unsolicited personal information
If we receive unsolicited Personal Information, within a reasonable time after receiving the information, Murfett Legal will determine whether we could have collected the information as part of pursuing our functions and activities.
We strive to ensure the security of your Personal Information and we take reasonable steps to protect your Personal Information from:
- misuse, interference and loss; and
- unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
We will review and update our physical and data security measures in light of current technologies. Unfortunately, no data transmission over mobile data and communication services can be guaranteed to be totally secure and any such transmission is at your own risk.
In addition, our employees and contractors who provide services related to our information systems are obliged to respect the confidentiality of any Personal Information held by us.
We will do everything reasonably within our power and control to prevent unauthorised use or disclosure of your Personal Information. However, we will not be held responsible for events arising from any unauthorised use or access to your Personal Information.
If you are a client or have provided us with your contact details, we may from time to time, send you emails containing marketing materials or promotions of our products and services. However, you may unsubscribe from these marketing materials at any time by clicking on the unsubscribe option in the email or by sending an email to us. We will then remove you from the mailing list.
ACCURACY AND CORRECTION OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that the Personal Information that we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, the accuracy of the information held by us largely depends on the accuracy of the information that you supplied to us. If at any time you discover that any information concerning you is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, please contact us to correct the information.
ACCESS TO YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will give you access to the information in the manner you requested, if it is reasonable and practicable to do so. However, in accordance with the Privacy Act, there are some circumstances where we may refuse to grant you access to your Personal Information or charge you a fee to access your Personal Information.
Sometimes, cookies may collect and store your Personal Information. We treat such information in the same manner as other Personal Information that you provide to us.
You can deactivate the cookies by resetting your web browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, the Site and our services may not function properly if you disable the cookies.
THIRD PARTY SITES
Notifiable data breaches (ndb) scheme
Murfett Legal has established a data breach response plan to ensure a timely and effective response to a data breach.
In the event of a data breach affecting Personal Information, Murfett Legal will assess and evaluate the breach and comply with its notification requirements under the Privacy Act.
Contact Person: Practice Manager, Murfett Legal
FURTHER PRIVACY INFORMATION
For more information about privacy issues in Australia and protecting your privacy, visit the Australian Government, Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.